Monday, October 18, 2010

thoughts on my presentation at Montana Shared Catalog fall meeting

On October 8, I presented at the Montana Shared Catalog fall meeting in Great Falls, Montana. My handout and presentation slides are now online.

I co-presented on OCLC Web-scale Management Services (WMS) with OCLC's Matt Goldner and Sarah McHugh of the Montana State Library (who also serves on the library advisory group for the WMS product that's currently in early adopter release).

One valuable part of the day, for me, was simply to attend a shared catalog meeting and to gain a better understanding of the kinds of issues and trade-offs that group catalog participants have to deal with. Given the Orbis Cascade Alliance's strategic agenda (with a "shared bibliographic database" identified as a strategic goal), this was very informative.

The meeting page also links to the group catalog's budget and the fiscal benefits of a shared catalog system are very compelling - by my understanding, the consortium pays approximately $180K per year in support for its Unicorn system to SirsiDynix.

No comments:

Post a Comment